Some Interesting Facts About Elevators Today And From The Past
An elevator is very much like life, it has its ups and it has its downs. Did you know that there are over 700,000 elevators in America alone? What about elevators being safer than escalators? There are so many things that people do not know about elevators that are very interesting. Here are some of those interesting facts.
The First Known Elevators
• The first known elevator was possibly made in 236 BC by Archimedes. Also in later references to the elevator, elevators were pulled with hemp rope by different animals.
• The first screw drive elevator, built by Ivan Kulibin was installed in Winter Palace in 1793.
• The first elevator that you could choose the floor you were going to was installed in The New York Marriott.
Types Of Elevators
• There are several types of elevators. From freight elevators to residential elevators! Here are a few of the different elevator types.
• Passenger elevators are the most common elevator type you will see. These are the elevators that take passengers from floor to floor.
• Another type of elevator is the residential elevator. These are normally used in mansions to carry people around the house! Wouldn’t it be amazing to have one of those?
• Express elevators are elevators that do not go to all floors, instead they only go to certain parts of the building. Normally these will go from the ground floor, or the lobby up to the very top of the building.
Other Elevator Facts
• The modern day elevator was invented by Elisha Graves Otis, who serves as the main supplier of elevators.
• The president Lyndon Johnson was an Elevator Operator at the age of 16. He served as the Elevator Operator in 1925 at the Platt building.
• Elevator music became a thing in the 1920’s and was originally used to calm passengers who were afraid to ride on elevators.
• If you see mirrors in an Elevator, this is because it makes it appear as if there is a lot of space in the Elevator!
• Italy has the most Elevators! They have over 900,000 Elevators! That’s incredible!
• The majority of deaths in Elevators happen to Elevator technicians!
• There are over 24 Elevators at the ancient Roman Colosseum. These were operated manually by over 200 slaves.
There are so many interesting things about the Elevator. If you are the owner of a building, you will want to make sure that any Elevators you have are properly serviced. This can be essential when worrying about possible accidents on elevators. Having an Elevator that makes a person feel safe is something you would want. Surprisingly, Elevators have been around for centuries, this has given mechanics and companies the time and the technology to perfect the Elevator as well as all the different equipment that goes into making sure the Elevators you use today are safe and reliable.